Monday, March 28, 2011

Unloved Artists

There are awesome, lovely artsy people out there with bills to pay. And they're offering commissions (selling art requests) for way cheaper than their skill should allow. Two euros, to be exact.

If ever I am rich and I become one of those people who has money to spare, or put into charity - screw the puppies being euthanized, the people on the streets, and hyperactive organizations who'll only go overboard with my money (cough, cough, PETA). I am pouring all of my money into artists I love - relatively unpopular artists, artists who aren't commercial or world famous, especially artists who have to use their skill to get by. I think it's terrible that they have to do this. All that artists do (should I say "we artists," or would that sound conceited?) is create and create and create and put new, imaginative, original, gorgeous material out into the world, and you'd think we'd be rich for all of the inspiration and joy we bring to our societies, revered, even, for our minds and our skills...? (Well, maybe not my skills in particular, but I'd like to think that my mind is worth something. Give me a few years.)

But we're not. So commission this guy.

When I'm theoretically rich, I'll find people like this, people who need money fast. I'll commission them - I'll say, okay, draw me this and this. One or two commissions. And then I'll surprise them by leaving five or ten times that amount on their bank account or PayPal or whatever.

Wouldn't that feel absolutely great?

That's why I'd like to be rich. Not for the delicious computer stuff I could snag or the travel or whatever, just for glitterbombs like that.

(Before anyone asks: a glitterbomb is a pleasant surprise that you leave for someone you don't necessarily know - like hanging streamers over someone's front yard in their favorite colors on their birthday and taking them down that night, or leaving notes in library books, or flipping all of the books/disks/CDs on a stranger's shelf upside-down when they aren't looking. Anything that inspires a sense of wonder.)

No comments:

Post a Comment