Saturday, March 26, 2011

Validation

Why is it that everyone I know - and I'm not exempt - seems to pretty much completely base their actions on romance and sex? That wouldn't be quite so terrible if it weren't for the fact that we all have this image of the dream man in our heads: a very pretty (but not TOO pretty) boy who's nice but fun, strong but protective, humorous but emotional, the kind of person who brings out the best in us.

I know exactly what that image would manifest itself as in real life (not that it could) - it'd be some video game playing geek who offers to carry my things, probably with blond hair and blue eyes (I never thought I'd be the type to go for the blond-haired, blue-eyed men, but there you go). It'd be That Guy.

Why am I, and every other girl on the planet, obsessed with this false image? When we finally get our claws into some poor, unsuspecting boy who only wants to know us a little better, we're just going to compare him to the perfect person who never existed. We're going to expect too much from him until we burn that mental picture and let the ashes float away happily-ever-after on the wind.

But here's my little question for myself: can that even be done, or is that just wishful thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment