Monday, April 18, 2011

Music role models

Tori Amos, because she's so diverse, and can pull off that throat-singing wailing kind of bluesy stuff she does Her lyrics have been giving me artistic inspiration for ages and ages. Favorite songs: Leather, Mr. Zebra, God, Cornflake Girl, Flying Dutchman, Little Amsterdam.

KT Tunstall, or at least her older stuff from - I believe - "Other Side of the Telescope"? I've loved those songs since I first heard them. She has a simple, beautiful sense of order to her songs, I think, that makes them so peaceful... and yet exciting? It's difficult to describe. Favorite songs: Other Side of the World, Universe and U, Heal Over, Suddenly I See.

Matchbox Twenty, one of the only male bands I've loved for ever and ever. Ever since Unwell. And now I have their whole album "More Than You Think You Are" memorized front to back and have never tired of it, and other songs besides. Favorite songs: Disease, Cold, Hand Me Down, Downfall, Push.

Nightwish, but mostly just their newer stuff. Try as I might, I can't find anyone else like them. Their new singer (as in, not Tarja) handles their themes much better than Tarja ever, but I'm still attached to "Wish I Had an Angel" because it was the first I heard. Something about orchestra and thrash metal... awesome. Favorite songs: Wish I Had an Angel, The Poet and the Pendulum, Sahara, Master Passion Greed, Moondance.

Jewel, though I only have her one album ("Pieces of You") and heard she got more... commercial? But this album is absolutely gorgeous, musically and thematically. Anyway, I remember doing "Who Will Save Your Soul" in the Musical Theater intro, and listening to "Pieces of You" when I was just a little twerp and my mom covered my ears when she said "faggot." Favorite songs: Who Will Save Your Soul, Little Sister, Foolish Games, I'm Sensitive, Daddy.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I've loved everything they've done - electronica, pop, disco. Everything. Their singer has a certain... charisma, I suppose, that makes her voice very enthusiastic-sounding and vibrant. Best of all is the amazing guitar. Favorite songs: Dull Life, Phenomena, Heads Will Roll, Kiss Kiss, Dragon Queen.

The Ting Tings. Yeah, I'm a guilty Ting Tings fan. Enough said. Favorite songs: Shut Up and Let Me Go, Great DJ, That's Not My Name, Fruit Machine.

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour. I first saw them on an iPod commercial, I believe, with their "Around the Bend," and looked them up and instantly loved them. Another super inspirational group that's provided a lot of art fodder. The singer has some sort of disease that makes her voice sound like a whiny rock angel. Favorite songs: Around the Bend (stickin' to my nostalgia!), Push the Envelope, Lady Jesus, The Golden Age.

Flight of the Conchords. My favorite group for... a long time. So they're not "real music," according to a lot of people - they're a folk comedy band - but I can't remember a moment that I haven't been infatuated with them. I have about three posters of theirs on my wall as we speak. My best friend and I made a pact to be as awesome as they are when we "grow up." Favorite songs: Jenny; Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros; Robots; Boom; Bret, You've Got it Going On.

No comments:

Post a Comment