Saturday, April 16, 2011

My weird brain, and muse.

I'm an author and artist by nature - seriously, sometimes it seems like either A) all I do is draw and write, or B) all I like to do is draw and write - and as a result, my "artistic muse" likes to manifest itself in weird forms.

Like... a year or so ago, I had a muse named Ae (or something like that). She was about ten, had blue-black hair, wore a white flannel nightgown, carried around an old brown teddy bear, and had soulless eyes. And sometimes mutilated things in a bloody fashion. The usual, you know, haunted-house-fodder, creepy little girl.

Now I have something worse. I now have a grand total of four muses.

The first is Lucas. He's blonde, occasionally snarky, and has huge white wings. He's also the kind of guy who helps tiny children off the sidewalk when they fall and scrape their knees. He's pretty much in charge of all my pretty boy characters, my heroic plots, and a good portion of my dramatic settings.

The second is... a nameless girl, I guess... right now I call her Alexa. Also blonde, really snide and sarcastic, wears bright red lipstick, smokes sometimes, has wings sometimes - aesthetically, she's basically Lucas' body double. She also has a habit of wearing Greek togas and making racist and sexist jokes (even though she's a girl - she doesn't take them to heart, I don't think). She's in charge of all of my "femme fatale" and 20s-esque characters, my bloody-but-not-gory scenes and ideas, and most of the "casually M-rated" scenes in my head such as drugs/alcohol/bad habits, sex and violence.

The third is Felix. He has dark, dark brown hair and blue eyes and nothing nonhuman to speak of (besides muse-magic, haha) - an oddity for one of my creations. He has a penchant for chocolate and also adrenaline rushes like parachuting and casual fighting. He's in charge of most emotion-charged scenes or ideas; really gorgeous detail on things like lace, embellished weapons, and wall decorations; and animal characters. He's also got his manly side, though. He's responsible for my obsession with humans themselves and muscular/skeletal anatomy... and most characters who speak any language other than English (such as my Russian-speaking Moth or my French-speaking Mehex).

The fourth, and last, is Sullivan - Felix's aesthetic female equivalent, with brown eyes and more rich brown hair, cut in a messy, spiky fashion. She's also very, very pale. She usually is wearing a uniform of some sort, and working on creating something of her own - usually mechanical. She's the closest of the four to my old Ae, just... grown up, and less bloody. She's in charge of all of my technical or mechanical drawings - robots, anatomical studies (she and Felix work together very often), clothing and costume design, a lot of character design (appearance-wise), uniforms, buildings, maps, cities, countries, civilizations, and most worldbuilding.

And right now, Sullivan and Alexa have me in their grasp. Sullivan, idea-wise, but Alexa content-wise... that make any sense? I want a world to unfold in my mind and perhaps in my writing, thanks to Sully, but Alexa demands bloody artwork right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment