Sunday, May 1, 2011

I still believe in fairy-tale love.

I am the only teenager who still believes that there is a man out there who's nice when you want him to be, protective when you want him to be, mean when you want him to be, smart, funny, good-looking, with a good job, wonderful parents, no fear of marriage/a family but still no urge to procreate right that instant, a good kisser, good in bed, likes pets, doesn't think what you do for a living is stupid, supports your hobbies, understands, and has a last name that won't get you ridiculed. E.g., the perfect guy.

In reality, one of my friends says, that is impossible. That's all fairy-tale bullshit because no one can be perfect. You might as well wish that he also be the Prince of Britain.

But someone can be perfect, for you. So I choose to believe in fairy-tale love, because if I don't then no one will, and that'd be sad. Everyone tries too hard to be a cynic. Don't get me wrong - I'm among the most cynical of the cynical, but I'm still an idealist. Sounds impossible... might be, depending on the definitions you assign them. But while I have a bleak, rather realistic look on the world, I also know that it can and should be changed for the better.

So when I find a guy who is almost perfect, I'm not going to drive him off and wait for Prince Charming (to invoke a cliche). I'm not going to change him either - because we should appreciate people for who they are, not who they could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment